Kadriorg Park has been used as park since 17th century by five important residents of Tallinn, who built summer houses on the area. In 1714 tsar Peter The Great bought area and started to construct new palace, Kadriorg Palace. After Peter the Great’s wish, anyone interested could freely walk in the park; thus the royal park was a public place from the very beginning.
On both sides of the palace leaves channels to the park and in the middle there’s planted horse chestnut trees. There’s also oak grove, where are still oaks which are older than the palace. In the main yard of the palace is mini-sized colorful geometric garden. In the west-side of the park next to A. Weizenbergi street is swan pond. It is rectangular pond, where’s small island with gazebo on it. There’s sometimes installations on the water.
Upper level on the park (south) is The Apollo Belvedere statue and rose garden. In Kadriorg, we can see park design techniques characteristic of the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries.